Information on training opportunities, support initiatives and legislation affecting general practitioners.
- Australian General Practice Training Program (AGPT)
- Prevocational General Practice Placements Program (PGPPP)
- Remote Vocational Training Scheme (RVTS)
Support and Incentives
- General Practice Rural Incentives Program (GPRIP) (external)
- General Practice Procedural Training Support Program (GPPTSP)
- HECS Reimbursement Scheme
- More Doctors for Outer Metropolitan Areas Relocation Incentive Grant (RIG)
- Rural Health Continuing Education Sub-program (RHCE)
- Rural and Remote General Practice Program (RRGPP)
- Workforce Support for Rural General Practitioners program (WSRGP)
- Districts of Workforce Shortage (DWSs)
- International Medical Recruitment Strategy (overseas trained doctors)
- Medicare provider number eligibility
- Other Medical Practitioners programs (OMPs)
- Review of the Medicare provider number legislation
- Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (external) - is one of two colleges in Australia that are responsible for setting and arbitrating standards for the medical specialty of general practice.
- Australian Indigenous Doctors' Association (external) - advocates improvements in Indigenous health in Australia and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to work in medicine.
- DoctorConnect (external) - a starting point for overseas trained doctors who may be considering work in Australia and for employers seeking to recruit them.
- Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program - information for Australian doctors wanting to study in the USA on a J1 visa.
- General Practice Education and Training Limited (GPET) (external) - manage the Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) and Prevocational General Practice Placements (PGPPP) programs on behalf of the Australian Government.
- Remote Vocational Training Scheme (RVTS) - this program is for medical practitioners in remote and isolated communities throughout Australia
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (external) - is responsible for maintaining standards for quality clinical practice, education and training and research in Australian general practice.
- Rural and Regional Health Australia (external) - Rural and Regional Health Australia provides a single source of information and advice to the public about needs, policies and access to health and aged care services in remote, rural and regional Australia, via a freecall 1800 number, website and an email contact function.
Learning about the eHealth record system
People seeking healthcare in Australia can now register for a personally controlled electronic health (eHealth) record (external). An online Learning Centre has been established to help GPs and other healthcare professionals learn about the eHealth record system. The information and training modules provided have been tailored to the specific needs of healthcare professionals.Visit the public learning ehealth (external) website to find out about the benefits of having an eHealth record, how to get involved, and how to use the eHealth record system.