Musculoskeletal conditions - arthritis and osteoporosis
Better Arthritis and Osteoporosis Care initiative
Better Arthritis and Osteoporosis Care (BAOC) is an initiative to improve prevention of arthritis and osteoporosis, facililtate early detection and improve management and quality of life for people with these conditions.
. Rheumatoid arthritis
. Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
. Prevention, treatment & self-management
The Better Arthritis and Osteoporosis Care (BAOC) 2006-2010 initiative has an emphasis on juvenile idiopathic arthritis, improved primary care, self-management, and secondary and tertiary preventions.
The BAOC initiative is guided by the following key strategic documents:
- a National action plan for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis, to identify priorities for preventing and improving the management of the conditions, endorsed by the Australian Health Ministers’ Conference in July 2005
- the document Evidence to support the national action plan and
- a National service improvement framework for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis, which outlines best care practices for preventing arthritis and osteoporosis and improving care and management for people with the conditions
1. Awareness-raising, consumer education and self-management
2. Health service improvement
3. Health professional education
4. Data monitoring
A range of activities for arthritis include the development of a national arthritis multicultural initiative focusing initially on the Greek and Chinese communities, a national set of arthritis information sheets, a national arthritis self-management training module, rural and remote programs, and an evaluated program of community service announcements. Another activity is a four year program of juvenile arthritis camps which includes the development of national operational guidelines, active targeting of children from culturally and linguistically diverse communities, and adolescent and young adult education workshops.
Activities for osteoporosis include a 'Prevent the next fracture' awareness program, a vertebral fracture initiative for GPs and consumers, an osteoporosis self-management training module, a national osteoporosis multicultural initiative, a vitamin D and calcium awareness program, a national dissemination project for the healthy bones schools kit, a national osteoporosis risk factors awareness program, a 'Men and Osteoporosis' program, a National Patient Support program and an evaluated program of community service announcements.
- the development of NHMRC endorsed primary care guidelines for the management of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- the development of primary care guidelines for the management of osteoporosis which require NHMRC endorsement
- the development of a primary care guide for the management of patients on waiting lists for joint replacement, which has now been completed and
- the development of musculoskeletal core competencies for medical and allied health undergraduate students.
- promoting uptake by GPs and general practice teams of the new guidelines on rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis and osteoporosis, the latter guideline requires NHMRC endorsement and
- promoting uptake by GPs and general practice teams, that are located in rural and remote regions, of the new guidelines on rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis and osteoporosis, the latter guideline requires NHMRC endorsement. Top of page
Page last reviewed: 23 August 2010