Guidelines for the Prevention and Control of Influenza Outbreaks in Residential Care Facilities for Public Health Units in Australia
Chapter 5: References
1. Deguchi Y, Takasugi Y and Nishimura K. Vaccine effectiveness for influenza in the elderly in welfare nursing homes during an influenza A (H3N2) epidemic. Epidemiology and Infections 2000; 125; 393-397.
2. Drinka PJ, Gravenstein S, Krause P, Schilling M, Miller BA and Shult P. Outbreaks of influenza A and B in a highly immunised nursing home population. Fam Prac 1997; 45(6): 509-14.
3. Ellis S, Coffey C, Mitchel E, Dittus R, and Griffin M. Influenza- and respiratory syncytial virus-associated morbidity and mortality in the nursing home population. J Am Geriatr Soc 2003; 51:761-767.
4. Ferson M, Morgan K, Roberson PW, Hampson AW, Carter I, and Rawlinson WD. Concurrent summer influenza and pertussis outbreaks in a nursing home in Sydney, Australia. Infect Control and Hosp Epidemiol 2004; 25(11):962-6.
5. Communicable Diseases Report, NSW, for September-October 2004. NSW Public Health Bulletin 2004;15:220-221
6. Public Health Division and Long Term Care Homes Branch. Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. A Guide to the Control of Respiratory Infection Outbreaks in Long-Term Care Homes, 2004.
7. McGeer A, Sitar DS, Tamblyn SE, Kolbe F, Orr P, Aoki FY. Use of antiviral prophylaxis in influenza outbreaks in long term care facilities. Can J Infect Dis 2000; 11:187-192.
8. Loeb M, McGeer A, McArthur M, Peeling RW, Petric M, Simor AE. Surveillance for outbreaks of respiratory tract infections in nursing homes. CMAJ 2000; 162:1133-7.
9. Arden NH. Control of influenza in the long-term-care facility: a review of established approaches and newer options. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2000; 21:59-64.
10. Bradley SF. Prevention of influenza in long-term-care facilities. Long-Term-Care Committee of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1999; 20:629-37
11. Tamblyn SE. Preventing influenza outbreaks in long-term care facilities. CMAJ 1997; 157:927-8.
12. National Advisory Committee on Immunisation. Statement on Influenza Vaccination for the 1999-2000 Season. Can Commun Dis Rep 1999; 25:1-16.
13. The National Health and Medical Research Council. The Australian Immunisation Handbook. 8th ed. Canberra, 2003.166-75 http://www.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/Handbook-home
14. Gross PA, Hermogenes AW, Sacks HS, Lau J, Levandowski RA. Efficacy of influenza vaccine in elderly persons: a meta-analysis and review of the literature. Annals of Internal medicine 1995; 123: 518-27.
15. Monto AS, Hornbuckle K, and Ohmit SE. Influenza vaccine effectiveness among elderly nursing home residents: a cohort study. Am J Epidemiol 2001; 154:155-60.
16. Arden N, Monto A and Ohmit S. Vaccine use and the risk of outbreaks in a sample of nursing homes during an influenza epidemic. Am J Public Health 1995; 85: 399-401.
17. Saito R, Suzuki H, Oshitani H, Sakai T, Seki N and Tanabe N. The effectiveness of influenza vaccine against influenza A (H3N2) virus infections in nursing homes in Niigata, Japan, during the 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 seasons. Infect Control and Hosp Epidemiol 2002; 23:82-86.
18. Anderson RM, and May RM. Immunization and herd immunity. Lancet 1990; 335: 641-5.
19. Carman WF, Elder AG, Wallace LA, et al. Effects of influenza vaccination of health-care workers on mortality of elderly people in long-term care: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2000; 355:93-7.
Top of page
20. Potter J, Stott DJ, Roberts MA, et al. Influenza vaccination of health care workers in long-term-care hospitals reduces the mortality of elderly patients. J Infect Dis 1997; 175:1-6.
21. Bridges CB, Fukuda K, Uyeki TM, Cox NJ, Singleton JA. Prevention and control of influenza. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR 2002; 51:RR-3: 1- 34.
22. Wilde JA, McMillan JA, Serwint J, Butta J, O'Riordan MA, Steinhoff MC. Effectiveness of influenza vaccine in health care professionals: a randomized trial. JAMA 1999; 281:908-13.
23. Bridges CB, Thompson WW, Meltzer MI, et al. Effectiveness and cost-benefit of influenza vaccination of healthy working adults: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2000; 284:1655-63.
24. Tamblyn SE. Amantadine use in influenza outbreaks in long-term care facilities. CMAJ 1997; 157:1573-4.
25. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention and control of influenza: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR 2005; 54 (No. RR-8):22-30.
26. Dreitlein WB, Maratos J, Brocavich J. Zanamivir and oseltamivir: two new options for the treatment and prevention of influenza. Clin Ther 2001; 23:327-55.
27. Hayden FG, Atmar RL, Schilling M, et al. Use of the selective oral neuraminidase inhibitor oseltamivir to prevent influenza. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:1336-43.
28. Cooper N, Sutton A, Abrams K, Wailoo A, Turner D. Effectiveness of neuraminidase inhibitors in treatment and prevention of influenza A and B: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials. BMJ 2003;326:1235-9.
29. Jefferson t, Deeks JJ, Demicheli V, Rivetti D and Rudin M (2004). Amantadine and rimantadine for preventing and treating influenza A in adults. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2004; Issue 3.
30. Singh S, Barghoorn J, Bagdonas A, Adler J, Treanor J, Kinnersley N and Ward P. Clinical benefits with oseltamivir in treating influenza in adult populations. 2003
31. Diggory P, Fernandex C, Humphrey A, Jones V & Murphy M (2001). Comparison of elderly people’s technique in using two dry powder inhalers to deliver zanamivir: randomised controlled trial. BMJ; 322:1-4.
32. Peters P, Gravenstein S, Norwood P, De Bock V, Couter A, Gibbens M et al. Long-term use of oseltamivir for the prophylaxis of influenza in a vaccinated frail older population. J Am Geriatrics Soc 2001;49: 1025-31.
33. Tamblyn SE. Antiviral use during influenza outbreaks in long-term care facilities. International Congress Series 2001; 1219:817-22.
34. Bowles SK, Lee W, Simor AE, et al. Use of oseltamivir during influenza outbreaks in Ontario nursing homes, 1999-2000. J Am Geriatr Soc 2002; 50:608-16.
35. Bush K, McAnulty J, McPhie K, Reynolds R, Boomer M, Clarkson L et al. Antiviral prophylaxis in the management of an influenza outbreak in an aged care facility. Communicable Diseases Intelligence 2004;28:396-400.
36. Monto A., Rotthoff J, Teich E, Herlocher M, Trucson R., Yen H. et al. (2004). Detection and control of influenza outbreaks in well-vaccinated nursing home populations. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2004;39:459-64.
37. Parker R, Lowen N, Skowronski D. Experience with oseltamivir in the control of a nursing home influenza B outbreak. Canada Communicable Disease Report 2001;27:37-40.
38. Shijubo N., Yamada G, Takahashi M., Tokunoh T., Suzuki T, and Shosaku A. Experience with oseltamivir in the control of nursing home influenza A outbreak. Internal Medicine 2002;41:366-70.
39. Gomolin IH, Leib HB, Arden NH, Sherman FT. Control of influenza outbreaks in the nursing home: guidelines for diagnosis and management. J Am Geriatr Soc 1995; 43:71-4.
40. Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing: Infection Control Guidelines for the prevention and transmission of infectious diseases in health care setting. Communicable Disease Network of Australia, the National Public Health Partnership and the Australian Health Minister’s Advisory Council, 2004.
41. Australian Management Plan for Pandemic Influenza, Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing, June 2005.
42. Monto AS, Gravenstein S, Elliott M, Colopy M, Schweinle J. Clinical signs and symptoms predicting influenza infection. Arch Intern Med 2000; 160:3243-7.