Residential Care Services
Residential care services provide accommodation and support for people who can no longer live at home. These links provide more information.
- To enter a residential care service, you will need to be assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Team.
- Two levels of residential care are provided in Australia. These are low level (hostel) services, and high level (nursing home) services.
- Extra Service: Information on Extra Service and a listing of residential aged care homes where Extra Service is in effect.
- Residential Care Entry Pack: This pack includes an application form and information booklet on applying for a place in an aged care home.
- Information on the Community Visitors Scheme
- Respite care services are also available in residential care facilities;
- Residents may be asked to contribute to the cost of residential care
- All residential care services are required to maintain standards. They must provide high quality care to every resident, and make sure they have qualified staff to meet residents' needs.
- Your rights in residential care are the same as those of any other Australian.
- You'll also find:
- Relevant publications.
- Contacts, and links to related websites.
- Information about residential care sanctions:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Delivering More Aged Care Places For Eastern Melbourne
- $25 Million for accommodation for aged and disadvantaged
- Christmas message – remember to check in on your elderly relatives and neighbours
- 6,500 more aged care places for older Australians
- Boost for Home and Community Care in Western Australia
- Better HealthCare Connections: Aged Care Multidisciplinary Care Coordination and Advisory Service Program
- Better Health Care Connections: Models for Short Term, More Intensive Health Care for Aged Care Recipients Program
- Encouraging Better Practice in Aged Care (EBPAC)
- Getting assistance from an SDAP Panel Member
- Service Development Assistance Panel Program Glossary
- 2012 National Aged Care Workforce Census and Survey – The Aged Care Workforce, 2012 – Final Report
- Australian Government Directory of Services for Older People 2012/13
- Interim Evaluation of the Northern Territory Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Aged Care Workforce Development Projects
- Consumer Directed Care Evaluation
- Australian Government response to Senate Standing Committee on Finance and Public Administration Report: Residential and Community Aged Care in Australia