Maternity Services Reform
Maternity services reforms
Welcome to the maternity services information page. This page provides information on the Australian Government’s maternity services reforms, in particular the changes to the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) and Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) for pregnant women, or those planning pregnancy, and for health care professionals.
The Australian Government is committed to improving maternity care in Australia by providing greater choice and access to maternity services for Australian women and their families, and by supporting the maternity services workforce.
These reforms also maintain Australia’s strong record for providing safe, high quality maternity services.
- Maternity services reforms: what they mean for pregnant women
- Maternity services reforms: what they mean for midwives and obstetricians
- Maternity services reforms: Medicare information
- Pregnancy, Birth and Baby Helpline
- Maternity services review
The National Maternity Services PlanOn 12 November 2010, the National Maternity Services Plan (the Plan) was endorsed by the Australian Health Ministers’ Conference.
Follow this link for more information, or to download a copy of the National Maternity Services Plan.
National Maternity Services Plan: Middle Years Implementation Plan 2012-13The National Maternity Services Plan: Middle Years Implementation Plan 2012-13 (the Plan) was endorsed by the Standing Council on Health on 27 April 2012. Development of the Plan was led by the National Maternity Services Inter-Jurisdictional Committee (MSIJC) in consultation with government and non-government stakeholders who share responsibility for implementing components of the Plan. The Plan builds on work undertaken in the initial year, and once again, its success is dependent on the continued collaboration between all Australian Governments and other stakeholders to achieve the objectives of the Plan.
A copy of the Plan can be obtained at the following link: National Maternity Services Plan: Middle Years Implementation Plan 2012-13
- National Women's Health Policy
- The Evaluation of the Improving Maternity Services Budget Package 2009-10
- Maternity Services Review - Overview
- Maternity Services Advisory Group
- National Women’s Health Policy: Consultation Submissions