Recruitment and Retention of Nurses in Residential Aged Care: Final Report and Commonwealth Response
This report examines the retention and recruitment of nurses in the residential aged care sector; and the issues surrounding nurse re-entry training in the sector.
This publication is available for download in PDF format:
PDF printable version of the Recruitment and Retention of Nurses in Residential Aged Care (PDF 834 KB)
The Commonwealth, at the advice of the Aged Care Workforce Committee, commissioned LaTrobe University to undertake a thorough examination of the issues relating to the recruitment and retention of nurses in residential aged care.
This report sets out a comprehensive investigation into those issues and has developed a series of recommendations to assist the aged care industry work towards improving their ability to attract and retain new and existing nurses into the sector.
The report (Recruitment and Retention of Nurses in Residential Aged Care) was released by the Minister for Ageing, The Hon. Kevin Andrews MP, in May 2002 and sets out 20 recommendations. These recommendations were endorsed by the Aged Care Workforce Committee.
The Minister for Ageing has now released the Commonwealth's responses to the recommendations (PDF 535 KB)
If you would like further information or a hard copy of the Report, please contact the Aged Care Information line on 1800 500 853.
If you are having problems downloading these PDF files please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy to be sent to you.
Top of page
- Delivering More Aged Care Places For Eastern Melbourne
- WA hospitals boosted by record number of new nurses and more to come
- $25 Million for accommodation for aged and disadvantaged
- Christmas message – remember to check in on your elderly relatives and neighbours
- 6,500 more aged care places for older Australians
- Better HealthCare Connections: Aged Care Multidisciplinary Care Coordination and Advisory Service Program
- Better Health Care Connections: Models for Short Term, More Intensive Health Care for Aged Care Recipients Program
- Encouraging Better Practice in Aged Care (EBPAC)
- Nursing and Allied Health Rural Locum Scheme
- Getting assistance from an SDAP Panel Member
- 2012 National Aged Care Workforce Census and Survey – The Aged Care Workforce, 2012 – Final Report
- Australian Government Directory of Services for Older People 2012/13
- Interim Evaluation of the Northern Territory Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Aged Care Workforce Development Projects
- Consumer Directed Care Evaluation
- Australian Government response to Senate Standing Committee on Finance and Public Administration Report: Residential and Community Aged Care in Australia
When accessing large documents (over 500 KB in size), it is recommended that the following procedure be used:
- Click the link with the RIGHT mouse button
- Choose "Save Target As.../Save Link As..." depending on your browser
- Select an appropriate folder on a local drive to place the downloaded file
Attempting to open large documents within the browser window (by left-clicking)
may inhibit your ability to continue browsing while the document is
opening and/or lead to system problems.
To view PDF (Portable Document Format) documents, you will need to have a PDF reader installed on your computer. A number of PDF readers are available through the Australian Government Information Management Office (AGIMO) Web Guide website.