- A review of Australian Government health workforce programs, announced as part of the 2012-13 Budget, has been undertaken.
- Current rural and workforce classification systems were considered as part of the review, including the Australian Standard Geographical Classification – Remoteness Areas and Districts of Workforce Shortage systems.
- Broader health workforce challenges, including those identified in the Health Workforce Australia Report, Health Workforce 2025: Doctors, Nurses and Midwives were also considered.
- The Minister for Health, the Hon Tanya Plibersek MP, appointed Ms Jennifer Mason as the independent external expert to lead the review, supported by Health Workforce Division. Ms Mason has an extensive background in public administration as a former Director-General of the NSW Departments of Human Services and Community Services.
- To inform the review, Ms Mason undertook a series of stakeholder consultations through October, November and early December 2012.
Review of Health Workforce Programs Terms of Reference
The final report was publicly released on 24 May 2013.
Review of Australian Government Health Workforce Programs - Mason review
- Minister Plibersek has announced the formation of the Rural Classification Technical Working Group to guide the implementation of an improved geographical classification system for health workforce programs. This group will also consider the recommended reforms to the Districts of Workforce Shortage system as part of this process.
- Enquiries about the review should be sent by email: email HWP Review (HWP.Review@health.gov.au)