The NRMC aims to improve the safety of medication management in Australian residential aged care facilities through standardised medication charting and improved medication management practice. It promotes Quality Use of Medicines and reflects the Guiding Principles for Medication Management in Residential Aged Care Facilities under Australia’s National Medicines Policy.
In addition, the NRMC enables the supply and claiming of most PBS/RPBS prescriptions directly from a resident’s medication chart, eliminating the need for a separate, hard copy of the PBS prescription, reducing the risk of transcription errors.
Benefits of the NRMCThe NRMC consolidates a resident’s medicines information in a single document, supporting accurate medicine reviews and improved quality of medicines outcomes.
A trial of the NRMC carried out by the Commission demonstrated a number of important benefits, including:
- safer medication delivery with reduced errors;
- a consistent approach to medicine prescribing, administration and supply across a variety of settings through standard intuitive design;
- relevant medicine information captured within a single booklet format supporting an holistic and resident focus; and
- a reduction in form duplication and administration costs.
Availability of the NRMCThe paper-based NRMC is currently available for use in residential aged care facilities. A copy of the NRMC, including printing specifications, is available on the Commission’s website, along with the User Guides and Trial Evaluation Reports.
Commercial, regulation compliant versions of the NRMC are also available for use. For commercial products, please check with your software vendor.
Further informationThe NRMC Frequently Asked Questions and promotional flyer provide additional information about the NRMC:
- National Residential Medication Chart Frequently Asked Questions
- National Residential Medication Chart page on the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care website
PDF version - National Residential Medication Chart Flyer (PDF 44 KB)