The Food Policy Section is responsible for promoting a nationally consistent approach to food regulatory policy and develops advice and policy for the Australian Government at both a national and international level. The Food Policy Section works closely with the Food Governance Section and Food Regulation Secretariat ,as well as the Population Health Division and the Office of Health Protection within the Department. The Food Policy Section also works with other Australian Government Departments and agencies such as the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Food Standards Australia New Zealand, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
- Develop and coordinate Government policy on food regulatory issues for the Food Regulation Standing Committee (FRSC) and the Australia and New Zealand Food Regulation Ministerial Council (ANZFRMC).
- Coordinate Australian Government responses to Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ), notifications to the ANZFRMC about proposed variations to the Australia and New Zealand Food Standards Code.
- Participate in working groups established by the FRSC which develops policy guidelines for referral to the ANZFRMC. Draft policies or consultation papers requiring stakeholder and community input are posted on the Food Regulation Secretariat website. .
- Participate in developing Australian Government positions on food regulatory issues being considered in the national and international arena ie. Codex Alimentarius Commission.
- Provide advice to the Department's Executive and Ministers on food regulatory policy issues.
Food Regulatory Framework
- The food regulation system is a partnership between the Australian Government, states and territory governments, and the New Zealand Government.
- More detailed information about the structure of the food regulation system and the ways the different areas operate can be found on the Food Regulation Secretariat website.
- More detailed information on food regulation policy in New Zealand can be found on the New Zealand Food Safety Authority website.
Food Policy - Related Sites Top of page
Food Standards Australia New Zealand
Food Regulation Secretariat
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
Australian Quarantine and Inspection Services
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
Codex Alimentarius Commission
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Therapeutic Goods Administration
National Health and Medical Research Council
Department of Health and Ageing - Nutrition
Review of Food Labelling Law and Policy
State and Territory Governments
New South Wales
New South Wales Food Authority
Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries
Safe Food Queensland
Department of Human Services
Dairy Food Safety Victoria
Department of Health
Department of Primary Industries and Resources
Department of Health and Community Services
Department of Primary Industries, Fisheries and Mines
Department of Health WA
Department of Agriculture and Food WA
Department of Health and Human Services
Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment
Australian Capital Territory
New Zealand Ministry of Health
Minister of Agriculture and Forestry
The contact point for the Food Policy Section is as follows:
Phone: (02) 6289 7045
Fax: (02) 6289 5100
Director Food Policy Section
Department of Health and Ageing
GPO Box 9848
CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601